After securing a $60,000 bond commitment for courthouse and jail in December 1901, Grundy County officials had proposals from 30 architects. It was a year before officials found a plan that could be built within the appropriation. In addition to examining plans that came to them, the court officials visited Kirksville, Palmyra, Hannibal, Macon, Jefferson City, Warrensburg, Butler and Nevada in Missouri; Ottawa, Topeka, Clay Center, Beloit and Garnet, Kansas; and Thayer and Beatrice, Nebraska.
Plans by the Topeka, Kansas, firm of Holland and Squires, and those from architect R. G. Kirsch ran to as much as $10,000 over the estimated costs when put out for bid. George A. Berlinghoff, Beatrice, Nebraska, then offered a proposal that was also first bid above the limit, but Berlinghoff put the court in touch with contractor John H. Sparks, who received the contract for his bid of $57,000. Cornerstone ceremonies took place in December 1903, and the building was dedicated Oct. 25, 1905.University of Missouri Extension – History of Grundy County
Currently the Grundy County Buildings & Grounds department, with assistance from our road & bridge department and other elected officials is responsible for maintaining the Courthouse and it’s Grounds, The Grounds of the Law enforcement center and the old county jail.